Robert Miskewitz, PhD
Chief Science Officer
Robert Miskewitz is the Chief Science Officer at Tipping Point Resources Group. Robert coordinates Tipping Point’s innovative sediment stabilization project design, geotechnical binder testing and Pneumatic Flow Tube Mixing sediment stabilization research. His expertise lies in the area of upland beneficial use program for sustainable applications of sediments. He has a great deal of experience conducting treatability studies for numerous industrial and governmental clients to assess the feasibility stabilizing sediments for a variety of upland beneficial uses. These treatability studies are required to understand the chemical and geotechnical characteristics of the stabilized sediment prior to a project so that a proper mix design can be determined to meet the client’s requirements for both construction and environmental site requirements.
Robert was the Project Manager in 2015, of the first US commercial scale deployment of the Pneumatic Flow Tube Mixing technology for the stabilization of contaminated dredged material from the New York/New Jersey Harbor. Robert managed all aspects of the project including preliminary treatability mix design and testing, field operations, value engineering analysis of the process, and further investigation of innovative binders for use in Stabilization and Solidification opportunities.
He has a BS in Biology from Penn State University and both an MS and PhD from Stevens Institute of Technology, New Jersey in the joint Environmental/Coastal Engineering Program. His doctoral dissertation research focused upon modeling the migration of persistent organic pollutants in stabilized sediment. Robert is currently an Associate Research Professor at Rutgers University, New Jersey in both the Departments of Civil and Environmental Engineering and Environmental Science as well as a member of the Center for Advanced Infrastructure and Transportation (CAIT). He manages a research group that operates the Weeks Sediment Laboratory at Rutgers University. He has over fifteen years of experience conducting research to develop technologies to identify environmental impacts to water and waterway infrastructure resulting from emerging stressors using innovative monitoring and simulation techniques, and to design sustainable infrastructure solutions. Specific areas of research where he is currently engaged include beneficial reuse of contaminated dredged sediment, water and sediment quality in coastal and estuarine systems, Marine and Coastal Infrastructure Resilience.
Robert Miskewitz Publications
- Janbaz, M., Iacobucci, L., Francisco, K., Miskewitz, R., Kitazume, M., Maher, A., and Douglas, S. (2019) Effect of Gypsum and Cement Content on Unconfined Compressive Strength of Soft Sediment. In Press Marine Georesources & Geotechnology.
- Kitazume, M., Maher, A., Janbaz, M., Miskewitz, R. & Yang, Field Strength Properties of Cement Stabilized Soil by Pneumatic Flow Tube Mixing Method (2018) Geotechnical Special Publication. 2018-March, GSP 296, p. 165-174 10 p.
- Qin, M., Gimenez, D. & Miskewitz, R., Temporal dynamics of subsurface soil water content estimated from surface measurement using wavelet transform, 2018, In : Journal of Hydrology. 563, p. 834-850 17 p.
- Miskewitz, R., Barone, D., Guterl, S., and Uchrin, C. (2017) Design of a GIS based rating protocol to assess the potential for landfill closure using dredge material in post Sandy New Jersey. Journal of Environmental Science and Health, Part A. Published online: 22 Feb 2017.
- Maher, A., Kitazume, M., Janbaz, M., Miskewitz, R., Douglas, S., and Yang, D., (2016) Utilization of Pneumatic Flow Tube Mixing Technique (PFTM) for Processing and Stabilization of Contaminated Harbor Sediment. Marine Georesources & Geotechnology, http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/1064119X.2016.1257668.
- Miskewitz, R., and Uchrin, C. (2013) Assessment of in-stream dissolved oxygen impacts of combined sewer overflow, Journal of Environmental Engineering. Vol. 139(10) pp.1307-1313.
- Walsh, S. and Miskewitz, R. (2013) Evaluation of the impacts of Sea Level Rise on upland flooding in tide gate protected areas. Journal of Environmental Science and Health, Part A, Toxic/Hazardous Substances & Environmental Engineering Vol. 48 (4), 453-463.
- Miskewitz, R., Francisco, K. and Uchrin, C. (2010) Comparison of a novel profile method to standard chamber methods for measurement of Sediment Oxygen Demand, Journal of Environmental Science and Health, Part A, Toxic/Hazardous Substances & Environmental Engineering, Vol. 45 No. 7.
- Miskewitz, R., Hires, R., Korfiatis, G., Sidhoum, M., Douglas, S., and Su, T.-L., (2008) Laboratory measurements of the volatilization of PCBs from amended dredged material. Journal of Environmental Research, Vol. 106, pp. 319-325.
- Dimou, K., Su, T.-L., Hires, R., Miskewitz, R., and Korfiatis, G.,(2006) Distribution of polychlorinated biphenyls in the Newark Bay Estuary, Journal of Hazardous Materials, Vol. 136:11, pp. 103-110.
- Miskewitz, R., Su, T.-L., Hires, R. I. and Korfiatis, G. P., (2005) Tidal Variations of Heavy Metal Concentrations in the Hackensack River, New Jersey, USA, J. of Marine Environmental Engineering, Vol. 7, pp. 241.
- Goodrow, S., Miskewitz, R., Hires, R., Eisenreich, S., and Reinfelder, J., (2005) Mercury Emissions from cement-stabilized dredge materials, Environ. Sci. Technol.; Vol. 39(21), pp. 8185 – 8190.
- Miskewitz, R., Hires, R., Su, T., and Korfiatis, G., (2004) Measurement of PCB Fluxes into the Environment from a Site Receiving Stabilized Dredged Material, Water, Air, & Soil Pollution, Vol. 4, pp. 45-54.
- Method and Apparatus for Electrochemical Screening of Toxic Chemicals in the Environment (2018) Mehdi Javanmard, Ali Maher, Robert Miskewitz, Azam Golizadeh, Sakshi Sardar. US Patent Serial No. 62/951,751.
- Solidification Material for Soil and Solidification for Soil (2019) Taiheyio Cement Corporation, Robert Miskewitz, Ali Maher. US Patent Serial No. 62/924,520.
Related Conference Proceedings
- Miskewitz, R. Maher, A., Kitazume, M., Janbaz, M., Douglas, S., Stern, E. and Yang, D., (2017), Pneumatic Flow Tube Mixing for Stabilization of Contaminated Sediments in the New York/New Jersey Harbor and its Application to Urban Sediment Management, Batelle Contaminated Sediment Conference, New Orleans, Louisiana.
- Sandy, A., Miskewitz, R. and Rodenburg, L. (2009) Direct Measurement of Air/Water Exchange Mass Transfer Coefficients for Polychlorinated Biphenyls using the Micrometeorological Technique, SETAC North America 30th Annual Meeting, New Orleans, LA.
- Miskewitz, R., Su, T.-L., Hires, R.I. and Korfiatis, G.P., (2004) Tidal Variations of Heavy Metal Concentrations in the Hackensack River, New Jersey, USA, Protection and Restoration of the Environment VII Proceedings of an International Conference, e-Proceeding Mykonos, Greece.
- Dimou, K., Su, T.-L., Hires, R.I., Miskewitz, R. and Korfiatis, G.P., (2004) The Distribution of PCDD/Fs in Newark Bay Estuary, Protection and Restoration of the Environment VII Proceedings of an International Conference, e-Proceeding Mykonos, Greece.
- Miskewitz, R. and Hires, R,. (2003) The Influence of the Hackensack Meadowlands on the Tidal Hydraulics of the Hackensack River, Meadowlands Symposium, Meadowlands Environmental Research Center.
- Pecchioli, J.A., G. Buchanan, and R. Miskewitz., (2003) Mercury in the Hackensack River: Initial findings of the New Jersey Toxics Reduction Workplan for NY-NJ Harbor. Abstracts of the Meadowlands Symposium. October 9-10, New Jersey Meadowlands Commission Environment Center, Lyndhurst, New Jersey. 50 pp.
- Miskewitz, R., Hires, R.I., Su, T.-L., Korfiatis, G.P. and Sidhoum, M., (2002) Measurements of PCB fluxes into the Atmosphere at a Site Receiving Stabilized Dredge Material, Protection and Restoration of the Environment VI Proceedings of an International Conference, Skiathos, Greece, pp. 863.
Related Technical Reports
- Iacobucci, L. and Miskewitz, R., (2018). Stavanger Harbor, Norway. Powdered Activated Carbon-Portland Cement Stabilization Study. Rutgers University. Center for Advanced Infrastructure and Transportation. Action plan for contaminated seabed in Galeivågen, Stavange, COWI. Report written for the Municipality of Stavanger, Norway.
- Maher, Ali, Kitazume, Masaki, Janbaz, Masoud, Miskewitz, Robert, Douglas, Scott, and Yang, David (2016) Utilization of a Pneumatic Tube Mixing Technique for Processing and Stabilization of Contaminated Dredged Material. Prepared for NJDOT.
- Miskewitz, R. and Barone, D. (2014) Landfill Closure with Dredged Materials – Desktop Analysis, Prepared for NJDOT.
- Miskewitz, R. (2012) Measurement of Sediment Oxygen Demand in Tacony and Cobbs Creeks, Philadelphia, PA, Report prepared for Philadelphia Water Department.
- Miskewitz, R. (2011) Measurement of Sediment Oxygen Demand in Tacony Creek, Philadelphia, PA, Report prepared for Philadelphia Water Department.
- Reinfelder, J., Stenchikov, G., Totten, L., Miskewitz, R., Hires, R. and Korfiatis, G. (2006) Emission of PCBs and Mercury from stabilized harbor sediments. Report Prepared for the New Jersey Marine Sciences Consortium and New Jersey Department of Transportation Office of Maritime Resources.